About a month back I started rebuilding my shed.  The main reason is that the door was right next to the house.  Over the years the door had become blocked by the cement next to the house, it still opened but not at a 90 degree angle, which makes for a pain to actually open.

I decided to rebuild it using mostly the same pillars and add two doors, proximally distant from the house.  Maneuvering our grill and other things into the previous door was a pain, so moving the doors away from the house makes it easier to both get things in AND out.  By putting another door on the shed, I can drive our snowblower in and out with relative ease.

Here’s a picture of the shed in mid demolition–I really need to get better about shooting actual before pictures.

IMG_1318

After getting all the boards cleared out, I had to rebuild the pillars in the middle of the shed.  I purchased two treated 4×4 beams for repositioning.  Once I started tearing out the previous beams, it become obvious the first build incorporated a very large screw cemented into the ground, which held the large pillar in place.  A good idea–but I wasn’t about to recement the slab to do the same.

So at that point we had an issue, the new pillars need stability.  Part of that is covered through being screwed into the roof framing, but it isn’t ideal.  There aren’t a lot of options for this sort of thing, but in the end i purchased “L” brackets and on each side of the beam screwed them in at the base of the job.  After that I used a cement epoxy glue around the brackets and the beam itself.  Again, not ideal but certainly more stable than just a freestanding beam.

One of the larger issues with the old build was the doors leaning downward off their hinge and limiting their swinging arc.  this happens over time.  It’s happened on my fence, but it’s something you can plan for and mitigate.  On the shed I actually purchased two larger door stops and epoxy glued them at the doors resting spot as well.  This was my father’s idea, and it’s a good one.  By having a stop in place the door will always rest at the same place and only lean against the hinge when open.  I imagine this should totally mitigate the issue but time will tell.

The boards on this are all cedar, mostly just to match my fence.  I’ll let it sit over the winter so that the wood dries out and then apply a layer of the same color of stain as the fence.  Once that’s complete I’ll post another picture or two to see how it looks comparatively.  One issue I’m a little concerned about is that the stain of the fence will be two years old by the time the stain of the shed goes on.  It may look quite a bit different and I’m considering just waiting until we do another stain job on the fence–but that may be another couple years.  Tough call.

Here’s a picture of the shed rebuilt.

IMG_1330